CALL TO ORDER
Nikki Dawson called the meeting to order at 7:04 PM and was seconded by Kim LaFrancis.
Kim LaFrancis, Leslie Gresham, Loretta Oleksak, Avani Mehta, Margo Wiseman, Colleen Johnson
Everyone is looking forward to the Honor Flight assembly tomorrow.
STEM night was an amazing success! Want to do every year.
Celebrate the end of the first trimester. Charley Brown Thanksgiving.
Mrs. Shafton was overwhelmed by the big turnout at Family Art Night.
Carolyn Kouwe reported:
- Kindergarten: is working on Fairy Tales, sharing our disguised turkey family projects, and starting Geometry and shapes in math.
- 1st Grade: grade is finishing up on class books that will be published through Scholastic. Each class wrote a unique story about a cat adventure. The children worked together to develop a story with a main character, setting, problem, and a solution. Each child had a page to write and a page to illustrate for the story. We are very excited about our books!
- 2nd Grade: is finishing Life Science with Habitats, working on writing personal narratives, and learning about arrays in Math.
- 3rd Grade: is finishing up the trimester this week with a multiplication test and then moving on to division in math. In Science, we are wrapping up our weather unit with meteorologist weather reports. For literacy, we just started discussing the central message and main idea of various genres.
- 4th Grade: will beginning writing Editorial articles using research and google classroom. We are working on large number multiplication.
- 5th Grade: enjoyed a tour of the new Glen Ellyn Police Department with TGFD Police Officer Joe. In Math students are working on double digit multiplication and division. Students are also wrapping up their learning of early explorers and settlements in America in Social Studies.
- LMC: The third grade is currently learning how to code. They began coding on paper and have moved on to using computers. Our next step is coding robots.
- Gym: The 2nd & 4th graders are learning basketball/dribbling skills. The K,1,3 & 5th graders are bowling.
- Art: New artwork is on display throughout the school. Lots of beautiful colors to brighten things up!
- Music: Chorus is busy prepping for their first concert at the Pancake Breakfast in December. 5th graders will be starting ukuleles in a few weeks, and 3rd graders will be starting recorders in January.
President: Yolanda Smith was not present at meeting. Secretary, Dawn Cassata read notes from the October PTC President’s Meeting. Most of the meeting’s agenda discussed boundary changes.
Vice President (see committee reports below):
Treasurer: Jamie Goldman had nothing new to report.
- Bake Sale (Planning): Lauren Miller is going to chair. Need more people to make/bring treats.
- Mrs. Mouse’s House (Planning): Kim and Jamie co-chairing. 20-25 parent volunteers and teens help kids shop. All items have been chosen and are ready to roll. Flyers coming soon. Need more wrapping tables. Set up in small gym.
- Parents Night Out (Planning): Need volunteers now. Looking for auction items. Hoping to send people out to local businesses. Avani is working on some downtown Chicago packages.
- Book Fair (Results): very successful. Grandparent’s Breakfast was another success! Only $500 down from last year. Mrs. Kouwe has $3,551.51 to shop for books. Looking for ideas on how to keep the Grandparent’s busy for next year. Mrs. Kouwe suggested to have activities set up in the library. We have a chair for next year – Wendi Eagan
- Grandparent’s Breakfast & Book Fair (Results): see above
- Ice Cream Social (Results): Collen reported. Too much ice cream. Cut back next year. Also, shorten it by 30 minutes. They were done by 7:45 PM. Lots of families showed up. Everything went well.
- Family Art Night (Results): see Mrs. Peterson’s comments above.
- Halloween Party: (Results): positive feedback about how the prep ran. Handing out the food was a great help. Having the PTC buy the food is a great idea. Consistency across the board.
- Ongoing Committees:
- Birthday Books: buying from Reading Warehouse. Buys throughout the year. At the end of the year, they do May, June, July and at the beginning she does August & September. It’s amazing program.
- Health & Safety: Smile Squad went well in October. Hearing and vision in January.
- Michael’s Place: Margo reported that it’s in process. Don’t have enough volunteers right now. Looking to get the teacher’s schedule now so she can get a sign up going for the volunteers. Goal is to have it up and running by December. Mrs. Peterson suggested maybe have an open house “run through” to familiarize parent volunteers with the process. Another suggestion was to have the Watchdog Dads get involved. We will send a stand-alone email about what it is and what the program signifies.
- Dads can volunteer any day. Just email Mrs. Peterson.
- Read to Succeed: Both programs are set. April 27th is Ozzie’s Reading Club. Great America … we need to promote it more. People don’t know about it.
- Website: all the important info is on the homepage. We have great communication around here. Mrs. Peterson will e-blast anything.
- Chairs Still Needed:
- Family Fitness Night – scheduled for 4/16/18. We talked about cancelling this event since we don’t have a chair and we are also wondering if it’s better to focus all our efforts on Parent’s Night Out? Maybe transfer the sponsors we have for Family Fitness night to PNO (Parent’s Night Out)? We plan to discuss further.
- Restaurant Nights: we’d like to do a few more throughout the year. We have a list of restaurants that may be willing to participate: Alfie’s, Giordano’s, Potbelly, Noodles & Company …
- First one is 11/29 at Portillo’s.
- We get 20% back to the school.
- Include in all communication that you MUST have the flyer to get the 20% back to the school.
- CAC Recap: the CAC meeting was cancelled due Dr. Tammaru being sick.
- Immediate need for volunteers: Pancake Breakfast, bake sale, and Mrs. Mouse’s House all taking place on Saturday, December 9th
- Yearbook Cover Contest: now taking yearbook cover contest entries. Extending the deadline to Friday, Nov. 17th. Please adhere to the guidelines. Prize for the winners. It will be a school store certificate. Winners/s announced in January.
- Winter Party: PTC will be covering the food again this party.
- Parent’s Night Out:
- We are going to do a 50/50 raffle prior to the Parents’ Night Out so grandparents and other family members can be involved.
- Hoping to request a meeting next week with Mrs. Peterson to discuss teacher involvement.
- Reminder: 1st restaurant night is Wednesday, November 29th from 5:00 – 8:00 PM at Portillo’s. Flyer coming home soon.
- Reminder: Thanksgiving break starting with ½ day on Tuesday, Nov. 21st through Nov. 24th
- Christmas Break: kids attend school through the week leading up to Christmas and end with the Holiday party on Friday, Dec. 22nd. Kids return to school Monday, January 8th.
- Kim’s Girl Scout Troop had a very successful candy drive. Kim present to explain. They sent 118# of candy.
- Approval of October 12, 2017 meeting minutes:
- Vice President Nikki Dawson motioned to approve the October 12, 2017 meeting minutes and the motion was seconded by Leslie Gresham and Margot
Vice President, Nikki Dawson called the meeting to an end at 7:56 PM.